Jan 17, 2019
In today's episode of Backpacker Radio, the Cinnamon Connection
catches up with Bill Manning, the Executive Director at the
Colorado Trail foundation. We do a deep dive on all things Colorado
Trail related, including the best time to hike the trail, the
biggest mistakes aspiring thru-hikers make, and the inner workings
for keeping such a beautiful trail afloat. Chaunce lets us in on a
mega surprise, and we cover the most popular sleeping bags used on
the AT last year.
Subjects discussed in today's show include:
- Gossamer Gear Anniversary
- Sawyer Permethrin
Sawer Micro vs. Sawyer Squeeze
- Chaunce's big reveal
to Get to Springer Mountain
Hills Hostel (formerly Hiker Hostel)
- NikWax Down Wash
- Bill Manning interview
- Bill’s backpacking experience - has done full length of the CT
split between horse, bike, and hike
- Difference between cycling and hiking route
- Do you notice tension between the bikers and hikers
- How he got involved with Colorado Trail Foundation
- Responsibilities as executive director
- Difference between Trail Crews and
- Why do Trail Crews cost money?
- What kind of skills does someone need to work on a trail
- The biggest challenges the CT currently faces?
- Biggest mistakes Bill sees people make who want to thru-hike
- Recommendations for dealing with altitude
- NOBO / SOBO/ SWOBO / NEBO?
- How has the trail changed since Bill's involvement with the
- How have hikers changed
- Story of Gudy
- Collegiate East vs Collegiate West
- Bill’s favorite section of trail
- What does the future of the Colorado Trail look like?
- What to do if you see a moose.
- What’s the most bizarre story Bill's heard on trail?
- Ideal time to start the trail
Colorado Trail Photos
- Trek propaganda
The Top Sleeping Bags, Quilts and Pads on the Appalachian
- TOP BRANDS
- 1. Enlightened Equipment
- 2. Rei
- 3. Kelty and Big Agnes
- TOP SLEEPING BAG MODELS
- TOP QUILTS
- TOP SLEEPING PADS
- Fan mail (email@example.com)
- 5-Star Reviews
Have any praise, questions, praise, comments, praise or praise
for Backpacker Radio? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe to this podcast on iTunes (and please leave us a
this podcast. Find us on
A super big thank you to our Chuck Norris Award
winner(s) from Patreon:
Sawyer Products, Travis Smith, and S11N.
A big thank you to our Cinnamon Connection Champions
Gregory Gardner, Andre Oosthuizen, Randy Harter, and Peter
Follow The Colorado
Trail Foundation, Backpacker
and Badger on
Trek and Chaunce on
Follow The Trek on Facebook, Twitter and
sign up for our newsletter.