Feb 5, 2019
In today's episode of Backpacker Radio, we sit down with Teresa
Martinez, the executive director at the Continental Divide Trail
Coalition. We talk all things CDT, including the future of
the trail, the biggest threats to its continued development,
Teresa's favorite stretch of trail, and way more. We also
talk through some layering strategies for the Appalachian Trail,
and Chaunce gives us a primer on vlogging etiquette. We close
out the show by featuring your questions via Instagram.
Subjects discussed in today's show include:
- Gossamer Gear Anniversary
- Use code "TREK15" at GossamerGear.com to save 15%
- Sawyer Permethrin
Sawer Micro vs. Sawyer Squeeze
- Recommended AT base layer options for guys and ladies.
- Interview with Teresa Martinez of the Continental Divide Trail
- Worked at the ATC
- Transition from the CDTA to CDTC
- The CDT is 3100 miles long, starts in boot heel of New Mexico
to Glacier National Park in Montana - Mexico to Canada
- Logistics of entering Canada after CDT vs PCT
- What does job look like as executive director of CDTC
- Why there are fewer people on the CDT than on the PCT or
- Differences between the ATC and CDTC
- “Focus on protecting the corridor and everything else will
- The CDT Corridor: congress created the CDT and said from the
physical 18-24 inch tread of the trail, a 1/2 mile from either side
of it - 1 mile wide - 1.9 million acres of land to protect
experience around CDT
- What percent of the trail is complete today
- What are the threats to the trail
- Teresa's favorite section of CDT
- That time Teresa had a gun pulled on her
- CDT Kickoff - April 26-28
- Favorite book: Desert
Solitaire by Edward Abbey
- Head to continentaldividetrail.org
or learn how you can volunteer
Land and Water Conservation Fund
- New sponsor! Greenbelly.co Use code "TREK15"
at checkout to save 15%
(by Chaunce!): Tips to not let your vlog
affect other hikers’ experiences
5 Star Reviews
Have any praise, questions, praise, comments, praise or praise
for Backpacker Radio? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe to this podcast on iTunes (and please leave us a
review)! Find us on
A super big thank you to our Chuck Norris Award
winner(s) from Patreon:
Sawyer Products, Travis Smith, and S11N.
A big thank you to our Cinnamon Connection Champions
Gregory Gardner, Andre Oosthuizen, Randy Harter, and Peter
Continental Divide Trail Coalition, Backpacker
Trek, Chaunce, Badger,
Correspondents on Instagram.
Trek and Chaunce on
Follow The Trek on Facebook, Twitter and
sign up for our newsletter.
Intro music via.